Google

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Wonders of Learning


I found this in KidsAhoy.net, it so beaqtiful that I'd like to share it to all of you.

The Wonders of Learning



We all know just how fast time flies. And we all know kids grow up just as fast. To those who work, unable to spend as much time with their little ones, time seems to fly even faster. For me who does freelance stuff, it is no different. Although I spend a lot of time with my little girl, it still amazes me how fast they not only grow up but learn things as well.





Reb just started school last June but learning seems to be at leapfrog rate. Although she already knows much when she started school (thank goodness she was allowed to skip nursery), I'm still awestruck that this little tyke has evolved from that little baby to an honest-to-goodness kindergarten student.

Since her Ninang Diane gave her a Bible for starters last December, we read a chapter every night. We then start again once we finish the book. Now what I do is to let her end the sentences herself. She has also started reading so I let her read not the titles (she knows these by heart) but words within the story. Call me shallow but it makes me real proud to hear her read. It's a feat for me. What can I say?

Last week though, she has gone back to drawing. Now she draws herself and her classmates too, not just her, me, Wowo and Wowa. Once she was busy doing something in her study table. No complaints for me there. Anything to keep her still and quiet is more than welcome for me. When she finally rose from her little world there, she handed me a piece of paper which read:

REB LAVS MAMA




She wrote it all by herself, relying on sounds to write the word LAVS. I was probably too touched to cry. I just said, "Awww, thank you baby!" Smiling with pride, she then wrote something again.

LAV MIFOR KRI




I had to ask for her help on this one, particularly the last word. She said, "Love me for caring..." Apparently she forgot what she was suppose to write after that.

Days after she was unstoppable. I then try to correct her spelling in a pace which I hope is just right for her level. She wrote a thank you note: "TCQW TIA TIA TINI LOVES MI" which translates to "Thank you...Tita Trining loves me". Her spelling skill is still in its infant stage but I would say she has reached the texting level.

During those milestones, I realized just how happy it makes her to hear me say that I am proud of her. It is such a simple thing to say but come to think of it, it is something that uplifts the spirit of anyone, young or old.

I am also very careful though not to supersede her teachers by running away with my excitement to see her accomplish more. Inasmuch as I want people to respect my being her mother, I also must give that respect to her teachers for they know better how to teach her the basics. I would not want to preempt how and what they will teach her, lest I sow confusion in her.

More importantly, I try to be very conscious of the fact that although teaching is primarily the responsibility of our noble educators, parents have the responsibility to learn how to mentor their kids at home. It is like learning all over again for me, but this time it's because of my little girl. I want to make sure I complement the efforts of her teachers especially if they are doing a wonderful job. It did not escape my attention that for someone who just started school a month ago, I commend her teacher for helping her build that interest in learning. Before she started school, I did not force the issue of starting to learn how to read or write. When she showed interest in something, I follow through. Yet I could not deny the fact that I am not trained in basic education so I tried to be very careful in mentoring her while she hasn't started formal schooling. Right or wrong, I would like to think it worked for her and me. She seems to be doing well in school.

Being proud of your kids' accomplishments is one thing. Being part of their learning is another thing. The latter is much harder to do if you are not an educator by profession or if you are also working. I believe though that taking the time to find out how to complement studying in school and studying at home makes a whole lot of difference. It's not only bonding time with your kids that you accomplish. You also inculcate in them that learning doesn't have to be a burden they will carry alone. That you are in this together. I guess it makes learning a little less daunting for them if they know we are behind them all the way. Most of all, you also get to know your child and his/her abilities yourself and not just rely on what the teacher and the report cards say. Later in their school life, this knowledge just might come in very handy when you start feeling that they may be falling a little bit short of what you would have wanted them to be...or when you think they are not going the direction you would have wanted them to take.

Author:Nina Saldana is a writer/editor for almost two decades now. Although all her working experience is in business writing, what she really loves to write about is life and people, and everything else in between. She is doing freelance work (writing, editing, web design, among others) to hopefully have more time with her daughter.
Email: an.saldana@gmail.com Mobile: +(63-920) 4007045
Website: http://rebnin.multiply.com

1 comment:

Vanniedosa said...

hi joane, a tag for you
http://www.kidddesigns.com/2008/11/what-if-your-ex-says.html

TC